Fort Recovery resides in Mercer County, Ohio. The village was first established in 1793 under the order of General Anthony Wayne. The region was populated by Native Americans when two battles broke out. The first was in 1791 when forces led by Author St. Clair were defeated. When General Wayne arrived two years later, they identified the site by a large number of unburied remains. They repelled attacks and ultimately defeated the Native American confederacy at the Battle of Fallen Timbers. Fort Recovery served as the border reference between the Native Americans and US Territories.
Fort Recovery Museum and Monument
The village has two main features, the Fort Recovery State Museum, and Fort Recovery Monument. The museum maintains two reconstructed blockhouses while the monument consists of a 101-foot limestone obelisk that memorializes those who fought in the battles.
Showing the single result